date update query

hs0kbl

Hi Please help. I want to create a spreadsheet that can update on opening workbook. I also wish to be able to flag information in the spreadsheet so that from the date of data entry I will be able to tell if an action (eg. person contacted) hasnt taken place before a two week time period. For example, after data input the cell turns yellow if a date is nearing (eg. 12 days after data input) and then turns red after 14 days (if the action required hasnt been noted in the spreadsheet, that is, no action has been taken). If action has been taken then the cell turns green.

Can you help? I am sure there must be a way of doing this. I hope I have explained myself clearly enough. I look forward to any replies to my query.
Thank you in advance.
Karen

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Welcome to the board, Karen.

If you want a file that updates automatically upon opening, you probably may need VBA, specifically, Event Procedures which are macros that run automatically when some event happens (like opening a file). You can find a write-up on them at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm

As far as changing colors based on values/dates, you may be able to accomplish a lot of what you need with Conditional Formatting. I would recommend checking out "Add, change, or remove conditional formats" in Excel help, and posting back if you still have specific questions or find it doesn't do what you want.

Upvote 0
Date Update Query

Just to say a big thanks for such a speedy reply.

Is there any way of just using 'refresh' on the NOW() function to do this?

Karen

Upvote 0
Why do you need to do a refresh of the NOW() function?

The NOW() function is dynamic itself, so there shouldn't be any need to refresh it (as long as you have automatic calculation turned on for your spreadsheet).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back