Date yyyy\/mm\/dd\/ nn explanation

mahmed1

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

I have seen people date and time format like something above. can someone please explain how this works and correct syntax to get date time for Uk format ... ie

03/05 thats 3rd of May and not 5th of March

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Forget about the sequence within your topic (yyyy\/mm\/dd\/ nn) it's used in SQL strings.
You're able to show a date in any format you like.
VBA Code:
Sub Example()
    MsgBox Format(Date, "dd-mm-yyyy") & vbCrLf & _
           Format(Date, "dddd dd mmm yyyy")
End Sub

Upvote 0
Forget about the sequence within your topic (yyyy\/mm\/dd\/ nn) it's used in SQL strings.
This question is actually posted in the Access forum (not the Excel one), and Access uses a version of SQL.

Upvote 0
Thank you - still dont know how and why to use it in that format especially \/ and nn :)

Upvote 0
This question is actually posted in the Access forum (not the Excel one), and Access uses a version of SQL.
Apologies, I wasn't aware of that (and don't have any Access skills)

Thank you - still dont know how and why to use it in that format especially \/ and nn :)
From an interest I read a lot about computers, programming and security stuff (eg back doors, memory leaks, abuse of unintended weaknesses). Once I read an article about SQL injection and the use of backslashes in query messages (and ways for data manipulation). When I saw your topic headline I immediately thought of that, in my opinion it would be of no interest to an Excel user. I didn't notice I was reading a question in the Access forum.
Some googling brought me here, this might be of some use. Access VBA & SQL date formats

Upvote 0
I didn't notice I was reading a question in the Access forum.
Yeah, a lot of people are unaware that the "Unanswered Questions" listing is not just for the Excel Questions forums, but all the Questions Forums.
Underneath the title, in gray type, it tells you which forum each question is found under.
On the old board, it was even harder to notice, as the forum was all the way over on the right side by itself.

Upvote 0
Thank you for pointing me out (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back