Date

sburkhar

with the =Today() function, today's date appears each time you open the template. Is there any way to stop it from updating when you open the "worksheet" that you saved from the template?
I need to know when the original document was created and if the date updates every time I open the worksheet, the function is useless.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
The function isn't "useless", it just isn't the right thing to use for your case.

Why not just hardcode the date? CTRL ; or whatever your favorite method to put the date is.

Upvote 0
The function isn't "useless", it just isn't the right thing to use for your case.

Why not just hardcode the date? CTRL ; or whatever your favorite method to put the date is.

my favorite so far is having to enter it 60 times a day every time I use the template.

can you explain "hardcode" to me?

Upvote 0
Hardcode meaning just store the date's value (as opposed to using a formula) in the cell. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like you just want one static date to appear in a cell. So, if you just put 10/4/2006 (or whatever date) in a cell, wouldn't that get you what you want?

Upvote 0
Hardcode meaning just store the date's value (as opposed to using a formula) in the cell. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like you just want one static date to appear in a cell. So, if you just put 10/4/2006 (or whatever date) in a cell, wouldn't that get you what you want?

I need today's date to appear on the template so we have a record of when the document was created. I'm trying to get away from entering the date EVERY time I open the template to create new document, which happens about 60 times a day.
But I don't want it to UPDATE when I open a document that I created 2 weeks ago. I need the date to reflect the day the document was created and saved from the template.

Upvote 0
sburkhar

Why not Use =today() in say A1
use code to copy and paste special values to say a2 if a2 is blank
run marco on save

Andy

Upvote 0
Hi sburkhar,

Do a search under my user name Zzzzzz…I asked the same question, may of been a different application, but I was looking for the same thing. To auto-date not using the =Today, as it always updates to the current day, but rather have it maintain the original dates integrity.

Just looked up my final result and this should help
Code:
If .Value = "" Then
    .NumberFormat = "@"
    .Value = UCase(Format(Date, "dd-MMM-yy"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back