DateDiff no longer works with interval parameters

looksly

Hi all

I recently realised a DateDiff calculation error in a workbook I have been using for years and found an error. I checked old copies of the same workbook and found the calculated data to be correct, so I am pretty sure the same formula used to work for me. But then even when I ran the old files now the DateDiff function returned the same error.

So here is the error, I am using Excel for Mac 2011 version 14.2.3.

MsgBox DateDiff("d", DateSerial(2012, 11, 13), DateSerial(2013, 11, 13)) => returned a result of 1, while it should be 366
MsgBox DateDiff("d", DateSerial(2012, 11, 13), DateSerial(2012, 11, 14)) => returned a result of 0, while it should be 1
'MsgBox DateDiff("y", DateSerial(2012, 11, 13), DateSerial(2013, 11, 13)) => run time error, while it should be 1
'MsgBox DateDiff("m", DateSerial(2012, 11, 13), DateSerial(2012, 12, 13)) => run time error, while it should be 1
MsgBox DateDiff("q", DateSerial(2012, 11, 13), DateSerial(2013, 11, 13)) => returned a result of 1, while it should be 4

Somehow DateDiff is always giving me the difference in number of years, or doesn't give an answer at all!

Is this a thing with Excel for Mac only? I haven't seen similar problem posted before.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have?

Thanks a lot

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
for line 1 in Excel 2010 I get 365
2 is 1
and
5 is 4

sorry I don't know anything about the mac environment

Upvote 0
Thanks. That's what I am afraid. I originally started the workbook in Windows and ported to Mac. But I'm pretty sure the function worked (for a period anyway) on my Mac before. I started realising this error now.

A bit more background - I use the workbook to calculate the average holding period of a stock and rate of return. So when I looked at the old files (on Mac) containing past holdings I still see the number of days calculated correctly. Somehow when I run it again, it's returning the strange errors like I said above. Not sure why, is this a Mac only problem??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back