Dates in different formats to be ordered chronologically

clairevic

Hi,

Total excel amateur here.

I am compiling a list of documents and wish to order them in chronological order.

However some of the documents have a single date while others have date ranges. The straight forward dates are fine and ordered correctly however Excel is not recognising the date ranges and just bundles all those with date ranges at the bottom.

For example, where documents have one date such as 1/01/2015, it orders it correctly but where it has a range such as 1/01/2015-1/01/2016, it doesn't recognise the range or anything.

I'm wondering if there is any way for me to fix this? From the research I have done, it appears that I may need to start a new column so I can have a start and end date, so the range is recognised but I would prefer to just have it as one cell for ease.

Thanks and hope you understand what I'm trying to say! All help is appreciated :)

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi, welcome to the board.

I think I understand what you are saying here.

My suggestion would be to clean up your data, so that you don't have date ranges and only have single dates.
Is this an option for you ? I think it could be the cleanest solution.

Alternatively, if the date range entries are always in a consistent format, you could use formulas to split the data up into start and end dates in separate columns.

Upvote 0
If you can provide a list of date examples we can come up with a formula to separate it into two columns

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back