Dates

Vstar

I have Excel 2003 (11.8169.8172) SP3 - Previous versions of excel interpreted a date entry such as "Jul21" as July 21, 2008 - this version of excel interpret that same entry "jul21" as July 1, 2021 - if you want July 21, 2008 it must be entered "26jul" - Is there a setting change somewhere that will allow entry of today's date to be "monthday" rather than "daymonth"?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I have Excel 2003 (11.8169.8172) SP3 - Previous versions of excel interpreted a date entry such as "Jul21" as July 21, 2008 - this version of excel interpret that same entry "jul21" as July 1, 2021 - if you want July 21, 2008 it must be entered "26jul" - Is there a setting change somewhere that will allow entry of today's date to be "monthday" rather than "daymonth"?

I tried it and I couldn't replicate the problem.

Probably something in the set up in the lanuguage section of windows ?

Upvote 0
I have just tried it on Excel 2000, and that interpreted it a sJuly 1st 2021, so previous versions of Excel didn't, and it is still working as it did.

Upvote 0
Are you running Excel 2003 (11.8169.8172) SP3 ?
Other versions seem to accept month day ie jul7 ... this version wants 7jul

Upvote 0
Try custom format, select the cell with the date, right click on the cell select from the pop up menu Format Cell, click on custom and type in mmm-d for Jul 21 or mmm-d-yyyy for Jul 21 2008 click OK button.

Upvote 0
Sorry, just re-read your post and noticed the mistake I was making. I can;t get it to work either via a simple method. You could have a macro split it down and re-organise it, though it would be fairly complicated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tish101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back