DAX Performance problem

fsabbagh

[FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Have a traditional star schema Kimball Tabular model in SSAS. There are 2 fact tables. GeneralLedger and GLBudget.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've been encountering a timeout every time with the Summarizecolumns command below. I took out the measures below and still get the timeout. If I remove the BP dimension, it works. Why? SQL Server 2017 running under Windows Server 2016 with 64 Gig RAM. DB is 5 gigs. There is nothing else serious on the server running since it is my Dev server.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS ([/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]'Company'[Company], 'Company'[CompanyName], 'GLPlant'[GLPlant], 'GLPlant'[GLPlantDesc], 'Account'[Ledger], 'Account'[LedgerDesc], 'GLDept'[GLDept], 'GLDept'[GLDeptDesc], 'FiscalCalendar'[CorpFiscalYear], 'FiscalCalendar'[CorpFiscalPeriod], 'BusinessPartner'[BP][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot])[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does anyone have any suggestions with the following DAX command. I thought SUMMARIZECOLUMNS was the new and improved command. Is there a limit to the number of dimensions we can query?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FerrisWheel[/FONT]

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Are you using best practice here? Ie are these all columns or are some of these measures? Can you post an image of the Data model? This statement doesn’t mean anything without the table design.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply Matt. This is the model. The list above are of the dimensions and fact tables. I did not include any measures in the Summarizecolumns command in the example above but it still times out when I do.

clip_image002.jpg

Upvote 0
sorry, can't figure out how to get my model out of SSAS. Used Snippet but can't paste here. Anyways, basically the 2 fact tables (General Ledger and GLBudget) are surrounded by the rest above which are dimensions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back