Day Formula problem

Bellaby

Board Regular
Hello all,

It's been a while since I last posted mainly thanks to eveyone on here helping me learn so much :)

However, I have a little problem that I'm not sure if there is a solution for. I'm using this formula: =DAY($D$5) which obviously returns as 0, in D5 I have the WEEKNUM formula. what I'm trying to do is make a specific day code for each week in the year stay in one cell eg. The day code for monday for any week in any year will always show up in cell C1, the day code for tuesday in C2 etc. I thought I'd try this formula: =DAY($D$5)-4 This brought up the day code for Monday, so the week number it 37 for the 14/09/2013 (09/14/2013 For our friends accross the pond).

This works great untill the week number turns to 38, and it changes the day code in cell C1 for a Tuesday. This isn't good for what I need the workbook to do.

Is there any way to make the day codes change each week but somehow arrange themselves to be in the correct cell? I.E. Monday (C1), Tuesday (C2), Wednesday (C3).... and so on.

Any help is very much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance
James

P.S. Macros can't be used as the workbook needs to be user friendly.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Just to make it clear, do you want the date of Monday in C1 for the week number in D5 or you just want C1 to show Monday?

Upvote 0
Just to make it clear, do you want the date of Monday in C1 for the week number in D5 or you just want C1 to show Monday?

Hi asad,

The date code will update its self I just want the day within the week to stay in a particular cell (Monday C1).

At the moment when I change the date to a week ahead, this then changes the week number which in turn change all the days in cells C1, D1, E1, F1, G1, H1, I1. So it messes up the sheet and there is no consistancy.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

It's been a while since I last posted mainly thanks to eveyone on here helping me learn so much :)

However, I have a little problem that I'm not sure if there is a solution for. I'm using this formula: =DAY($D$5) which obviously returns as 0, in D5 I have the WEEKNUM formula. what I'm trying to do is make a specific day code for each week in the year stay in one cell eg. The day code for monday for any week in any year will always show up in cell C1, the day code for tuesday in C2 etc. I thought I'd try this formula: =DAY($D$5)-4 This brought up the day code for Monday, so the week number it 37 for the 14/09/2013 (09/14/2013 For our friends accross the pond).

This works great untill the week number turns to 38, and it changes the day code in cell C1 for a Tuesday. This isn't good for what I need the workbook to do.

Is there any way to make the day codes change each week but somehow arrange themselves to be in the correct cell? I.E. Monday (C1), Tuesday (C2), Wednesday (C3).... and so on.
I am not completely clear on your set up, but if D5 contains a date, then the following formula should return the date for the Monday of the week D5 occurs in...

=A1-WEEKDAY(A1)+2

Upvote 0
I am still not clear but you could try something like this:
Code:
=DAY(D$5)+(ROWS(C$1:C1)-WEEKDAY(DAY(D$5),2))
in C1 and copy it down all the way to C7.

Upvote 0
Ah right, no, the date can be anywhere, so for now have the date in D4. In D5 the formula is =WEEKNUM(D4,1) then in C1 I have =Day(D5)+2. So if the date is 14/09/2013 D5 will return the result 37 then C1will return the Day code for Monday.

This is great untill the week changes,if you change the date to the 16/09/2013 The day code in C1 then changes to Tuesday.

I'm basically trying to find a way to keep the days in the same cell even when the day code changes.

I apologise about how complicated this is.

Upvote 0
Did you try my formula. I think it always shows Monday, Tuesday and so on.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back