Dealing with Data Streams

hatman

I'm only asking because I am always surprised by the breadth of knowledge and experience in this community, and someone may actually have some advice for proceeding.

The Background:
As some of you know, the company I work for provides hardware to NASA (directly or indirectly) for a variety of space programs. Specifically, I work on subsystems for the Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS). As a part of the hardware support, we also monitor the systems on the Space Station form an operations center here. NASA provides a variety of software packages to acquire, process and display telemetry data (live, recorded and archived). We use several of them in our Ops center. This has worked well for the last 4 years for the two systems that I support.

Problem:
Due to bandwidth limitations, our latest sytem (to be launched next month and activated in the summer) uses data compression before it gets picked up by the MDM system for encryption and streaming to Houston. The existing telemetry manipulation software suite does not have the capability to de-compress our data after it has been extracted from the telemetry stream. I have been tapped to help build the solution. The 2-man team is comprised of me (the dumb mechanical test engineer with an avocation for Excel and data mongering) and the lead programmer who created the compression software (we affectionately call him Doc, due his PHD in computer programming). I feel like Danny Devito in Twins...

Discussion:
I hope to be able to navigate the waters of software developers who built the systems that currently handle the Telemetry. I hope to be able to pick their brains and re-invent the wheel of working with the data stream that already comes into our Ops Center via VPN. In parallel, the hacker in me wants to try and figure out what I can, if for no other reason, to at least know what questions to ask, and perhaps be able to understand the answers they give me. Assuming I can even find the right subset of experts who can help me.

Some Tech Details (public domain):
Using Securemote, a VPN is established across a T-1 connection (external to our firewall) to the HOSC at Marshall Space Flight Cemter in Huntsville, AL.
Login to one of the secure url=http://www.all-acronyms.com/EHS/enhancedhoscsystem/105423]EHS[/url] data servers using display software called EPC.
According to the Nasa Website, the data that I am dealing with uses IPsec protocols IP-50 and IP-51.
The current plan is to somehow acquire this data with software that we will develope, and post-process it to dsiplay the data in some rational way.

Question:
So has anyone here ever dealt with IPsec Protocols directly? I'm starting with a blank slate here, and can develope ANYTHING I want to... but I don't yet know enough to even pick a direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back