Dealing with label dates in the dd-mmm-yy format (CDate reverses 'yy' and 'dd')

RawlinsCross

So I have a userform label with the caption of a date in the format "dd-mmm-yy" - let's just say it's "14-Oct-21". I want to search (.Find) this date in column A with dates also in the format "dd-mmm-yy". Now I realize in column A that I actually have dates (i.e. when I click on the corresponding cell in column A I see in the formula bar 2021-10-14.

So I think I have to convert the string label date "14-Oct-21" to the 2021-10-14 in order to find it. But when I try to convert the string label date it converts it to 2014-10-21.

I find dates in excel to be quite frustrating particularly when coupled with the .Find function. Any thoughts on how to proceed here?

John

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
If you're seeing the date in the formula bar as 2021-10-14 then it looks like that is a text string, in which case converting your caption date to a proper date will not work.

In simple a simple test this works correctly, see if you can use it to fix what you have.
VBA Code:
Sub test()
Dim d As Date
d = "14-Oct-21"
ActiveSheet.Cells.Find(Format(d, "yyyy-mm-dd")).Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Assuming that the dates in your range are real dates, you will need to coerce the Label Caption to a date using type conversion function like CDate. You will also need to use the LookIn:=xlFormulas argument which searches the Formula of cells and is not affected by cell formatting like Dates.

To return the format of the found range to your control (TextBox?) you use the Range.Text property – this should return the text of the cell (what you see) and not its underlying value.

Example code

Code:
Dim FoundCell   As Range
Dim Search      As Variant

Search = Me.Label1.Caption
If IsDate(Search) Then Search = CDate(Search)

Set FoundCell = Worksheets("Sheet1").Columns(1).Find(What:=Search, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlWhole)

If Not FoundCell Is Nothing Then

'use the Range.Text property to return what you see in the cell
 '(formatted date) & not its underlying value.
 MsgBox FoundCell.Text

Else
    MsgBox Search & Chr(10) & "Record Not Found", 48, "Not Found"
End If

Dave

Upvote 0
Hey there... my apologies for the late reply, haven't been in front of a computer for weeks (which definitely is a good thing sometimes!). I appreciate the replies and some good take-aways. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Most welcome & hopefully, one of solutions offered will work for you if not post back.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back