Debugging Adding a ListBox to a Worksheet - cannot use Break Mode

CWMacNut

I was going to develop a UserForm but decided that just adding a ListBox to the Worksheet would be simpler. I have a decent reference book to help me but I'm finding it is a bit outdated. I've placed my code below. The first line does not allow me to go into Break Mode. So I can only debug by running the whole thing. I'm getting an error but because I'm not in Break Mode, it does not highlight the offending line.

Error Message: Run-time error '438': Object doesn't support this property or method

Code:
Dim PrinterList$

Sub lbPrintersPopulate()
        ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add ClassType:="Forms.ListBox.1", Left:=47.25, Top:=43.5, Width:=68.25, Height:=15
        ActiveSheet.ListBox1.Name = "PrinterList"
        ActiveSheet.PrinterList.ColumnCount = 4
        ActiveSheet.PrinterList.Clear
        ActiveSheet.PrinterList.Object.ListFillRange = Worksheets("ListOfPrinters").Name.Range("A1:A4")
End Sub

If anyone has a clue as to which line might be the offending one, please help!!

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I've been using VBA for a little while now but I don't usually add controls to a sheet, and I don't usually add them programmatically
This behavior is odd to me, I see something written about it here
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/...ntrols-via-vba-kills-global-vba-heap.3763287/
https://www.ozgrid.com/forum/forum/help-forums/excel-general/54299-dynamic-creation-of-list-box

It looks like you're trying to programmatically add a listbox to the page, not just draw one on there with the developer tools, or create a form and then add a listbox to it -- I'm sorry I'm not more help here and I'm also, like you, confused that this looks more complicated than I would have expected.

It also looks like what the macro recorder shows when you add an activex control -- try the Excel Form Controls, instead of adding the ActiveX control --
ActiveSheet.ListBoxes.Add(206.25, 95.25, 417, 129.75).Select

Upvote 0
Try...

Code:
        Dim newOleObject As oleObject
        Set newOleObject = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.ListBox.1", Left:=47.25, Top:=43.5, Width:=68.25, Height:=15)
        newOleObject.Name = "PrinterList"

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Programmatically adding a listbox to a userform is a bit of an advanced task, too. It's usually better to design the userform with the listbox on it, programmatically adding content to the listbox is probably where you will be where your work will go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back