Decreasing Percent amount based on Ranking

DmaxHunter

Hello,

I'm trying to build a potential bonus structure where we rack and stack (rank) each employee and based off their ranking they get a % of the bonus we have available for distribution for the year. #1 gets the highest % of the bonus and it incrementally decreases from there, all totaling 100%.

I can figure this out manually by simply playing with numbers and coming up with what the decrease is for each decreased rank. In my example I have 18 employees so I found #1 gets 7.8605% then #2 gets .0025 off of it then #3 .0025 off it and so on. But if I add say a 19th employee I have to play around with the numbers to find my starting % for #1 and my decreasing % for each. So, is there a formula I can implement to do this automatically so when I add the 19th employee it re-calculates all on it's own simply based on the value in D2 and I don't have to just sit there and play with the numbers to try and figure it out?

Here are some visuals for what I have so far. Thanks in advance for any help!

Bonus Structure 1.PNG
Bonus Structure 3.PNG

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Try this out:

=RANK(B5,$B$5:INDEX($B$5:$B$1000,$D$2),0)/SUM($B$5:INDEX($B$5:$B$1000,$D$2))

Upvote 0
Solution
Okay while that works great, I want to throw a curveball at you. Say I don’t want to pay anyone with the company less than 6 months (in gray #’s 13-18) more than $275 (or another set cap as seen in N10). Is there any way to add that into the formula and distribute $275 and progressively less for the last 6 employees (13-18) and remove that sum from the total of $20,000 (N9) which that remainder would get distributed to the everyone else who has been there more than 6 months (1-12).

Not sure if that makes sense. Here are two more screenshots showing my progress so far using your solution as a nested IF, but I just use a .0025 off that 13th position again. And of course doing so doesn’t equate to 100% total the way I’m doing it.

Bonus Structure 4.PNG
Bonus Structure 5.PNG

Upvote 0
Curious if anyone has any ideas for this? I've been creating a lot of helper columns but still don't seem to be getting close enough. Thinking it might just be easiest to split these into two different sections for now and using steve the fish's solution in two separate sections

Upvote 0
Would you mind sharing this spreadsheet? This is exactly what I am needing but I'm excel illiterate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back