Default Font when Inserting a new Worksheet in a Workbook

RexJ

Using Excel 2010 under Windows 8.
The default font options set in my Excel for New Workbooks are: Body Font (which is Calibri on my computer) and size 11. If I open a new Workbook this font type and size are applied. If I add a new worksheet in this workbook, again this font type and size are applied.
Now for my problem. I have an existing Workbook, with lots of macros and several populated Worksheets. As part of using this Workbook I need to add new Worksheets to it (Insert Worksheet). When I insert a Worksheet, the default font for all the cells is Arial, size 10 (which is also the font used on the existing Worksheets).
Is there a way to change the default font used when Inserting a Worksheet in this Workbook? Where is this information stored? Can I access this information using either the Excel GUI or through VBA?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Have a look at
File >> Options >>General >>When Creating new workbooks.....modify as required.

Upvote 0
Michael, Thanks you for the quick reply. Unfortunately this did not address my question / concern. I am looking for a way to change the default font when I add a Worksheet (Insert Worksheet) to an EXISTING Workbook, not a new Workbook. I am assuming the default font information is contained somewhere in the existing Workbook. I'd like to know how to access this information and change it. Thanks.e

Upvote 0
I dont know if this is an overkill

But what of this in the "thisworkbook" module

The code runs everytime a new sheet is created. Just an idea :)

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_NewSheet(ByVal Sh As Object)
    Set wks = ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet
    With wks
        .Cells.Font.Size = 12
        .Cells.Font.Name = "Cambria"
    End With
End Sub

I personally think the template approach is better than using codes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Momentman....I agree.
I was trying to avoid the NewSheet approach as well.

Upvote 0
I want this file to be self-contained. It is distributed to many people in our company, so I don't want to have to distribute and document the installation of a template file. Therefore using the VBA code is better for my use case. This file already contains ~750 lines of code so a few more aren't a big deal.

However, I’m still left with the question where in the Excel Object Model the information is located about the default font used when Inserting Worksheet is performed. I know it is contained in the file somewhere as I have different Workbooks created with different default fonts (in File>>Options>>General) defined at the time the Workbook was created. When Insert Worksheet is used in any of these Workbooks, the original default font in place when that particular Workbook was created is used…..so it has to remember this somewhere.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back