Define Array from another cell?

azaking

Office Version
  1. 365
Hey,

I think I am massively overthinking this whole process but I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what I thought would be a simple formula. All so my girlfriend and I can stop arguing over dinner.

I found a simply template online and wanted to make it a bit more useful by defining the categories and it updating dynamically rather than having 7 recipe boxes that only defined a particular day.

1651587116747.png

I have made the Category inputs drop down boxes which correlate to a "Recipe List" and when I change these I would like the Array in the "Meal" column to adjust along with it. For example When defining Chicken #1 it would choose a random meal from 'Recipe List' Chicken #1.

I have attempted to add in a small Vlookup for setting the array but again this would not dynamically change in the Meal forumular.

Please can someone put me out my misery.

Kind Regards
Aaron

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Without seeing your sheet, I don't understand what you're trying to do with the Vlookup, but your meal formula is close to what I think would work. I did this instead:
=OFFSET(A1, RANDBETWEEN(1,3),0)
with A1 being where Chicken #1 header is entered and 1,3 being the offset from A1 that would work for that Category

Upvote 0
I think I am massively overthinking this whole process
I feel obliged to agree with you there ?
Start by dumping the 'Array' column, that isn't necessary and isn't actually providing you with any kind of array.

If there are always 10 recipes listed in each section then you could use something like
Excel Formula:
=INDEX($A:$A,XMATCH($E6,$A:$A)+RANDBETWEEN(1,10))

If the recipe count is variable then perhaps structured tables or named ranges would be a simpler option.

Upvote 0
Solution
I feel obliged to agree with you there ?
Start by dumping the 'Array' column, that isn't necessary and isn't actually providing you with any kind of array.

If there are always 10 recipes listed in each section then you could use something like
Excel Formula:
=INDEX($A:$A,XMATCH($E6,$A:$A)+RANDBETWEEN(1,10))

If the recipe count is variable then perhaps structured tables or named ranges would be a simpler option.

I really was overthinking this!

Thank you so much, if only I get get them hours of my life back.

Appreciate your help and I have certainly learnt something.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back