Define names based on cell content (multiple cells per name)

ryansmith

I am attempting to define names for all cells in an entire column of a range. In this column, there are repeating values, which are always next to one another, by design. What I am looking to do is to have each set of cells that have the same content (again these cells are next to eachother), have one defined name based on the content in those cells. If there are no repeats for a certain value, than that cell alone will be have its own defined name.

So, for the entire column in my range, every cell or group of cells with the same content will have it's own defined name. Furthermore, when the content of the cell changes, the name will change with it too.

I am fairly skeptical that this is possible, but it's worth a shot.

I am running Excel 2013 and Windows 7 Professional.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Ultimately, my end goal is to create a hyperlink to these defined names. If there is a way to create a formula for a hyperlink to address my issue, the defined names step could be skipped.

So now, on Sheet 1 there are a number of cells with hyperlinks. Each of the hyperlinks will refer to my column in Sheet 2, and link to the specific set of cells that have unique content.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back