Defining a table_array for VLOOKUP? HELP!!

zjhomrighaus

Hello, I am trying to "manually" enter the table_array in a VLOOKUP function. I basically want to be able to define the table_array using functions nested within the VLOOKUP.

For simplicity, I want to do a VLOOKUP over a range of let's say... A1:C3. I can use the following in a cell by itself to produce "A1:C3"

A B
y 3

=CONCATENATE("A",B2,":","C",B3)

-and-

=ADDRESS(1,B1,4)&":"&ADDRESS(3,B2,4)

These both return A1:C3 for me, but when I embed them in the argument of the VLOOKUP, I get a #VALUE error.

I have tried using TEXT() to convert the output into text, I have tried leaving the result A1:C3 in a cell and referencing that cell in the table_array argument of VLOOKUP... nothing seems to work.

=VLOOKUP(C21, ADDRESS(1,B1,4)&":"&ADDRESS(3,B2,4), 7)

Note: in the example above, C21 is the value I want to find in the first row and the 7th column contains the data I want to look up. If I do manually enter in the range A1:C3 in place of the ADDRESS functions, the formula works fine... so it has to do with calculating the table_array

I know it seems obvious that I should just type in A1:C3, but I want to be able to calculate the range based on other criteria and don't want to have to manually enter the range for each VLOOKUP.

Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
try "Indirect" instead of "Address"

=VLOOKUP(C21,INDIRECT("A",B2,":","C",B3),7,0)

Upvote 0
a small correction

=VLOOKUP(C21,INDIRECT("A"&B2&":"&"C"&B3),7,0)

Upvote 0
Still doesn't work

Thanks for the quick response, but the INDIRECT function didn't do the trick (I still get a #VALUE! error). If I try INDIRECT in it's own cell, it returns the value in the cell defined in the argument and what I need is the cell reference itself... no the value.

Put another way, if field A2 has the value of xyz, I don't need xyz, I need "A2" in a format that VLOOKUP will accept.

Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back