Defining Names

daedress

A'righty, I've been working on an excel project for hours now and my mind is just starting to blur. It's due today so I don't really have time to take a break. A task I had no problem with last week, for some reason it's just not computing today.

Here is what needs to be done:
I need to create defined names for the input cells for the responsible party details (phone #, address), and create defined names for the input cells of player 1/2 sections (school, name, grade, ect...)

I made the defined names for the schools. But I'm pretty sure I went about it the 'long' and not needed way.
I individually defined each school, so that the value is the school's name.

Now for the other items, like the player names, there are 54 of them, I need to paste my defined name list onto my documentation worksheet, so I can't really have an extra long list like that, by individually doing all of them. If I am reading my book correctly, I need to click on, 'player name' cell C33 on my invoice sheet, click 'define names' and then from there I select the range with the information, which would be the range B22-55 on the players worksheet. But I feel this is not the correct method for what I am trying to achieve. I need to be able to, click on the empty field next to 'player name' and paste the required name I need. But by doing the method mentioned above, it gives me a reference to the cell I'm on, so since I'm on cell D33, it returns the name on cell B'33' of the players worksheet.

here are the screenshots of the invoice worksheet, the underlined cells is where I need to enter in the player name, school ect. And the second screenshot is the player worksheet that all of the information needed, DOB names, ect...
Screenshot1.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Screenshot2.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
This is not clear

Try to explain what you want to happen, not how you want it done, because it sounds like Defined Names has become the problem, but maybe theres a better way

(Images didn't appear)

Upvote 0
Your approach is a new one to me, would need more explaining on what you want to happen, as "CharlesCC" pointed out.

To do this I would use an index-match(similar to VLOOKUP) approach, using different index-match formula in each cell(school, size, etc), having the match criteria go after the name you input in cell C33.

(Images appeared for me)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back