Delay when using Clear filters button on Ribbon vs Clearing filters on Individual Columns

c_wag03

Hello,

I am having an issue in a particular workbook where I have a filtered table, and if I click on the filter drop down on each individual column to clear one or more filters, the result is basically instant. But if I click the "Clear" filters button on the Data tab of the ribbon to clear all filters in the table without having to click each column individually, the workbook locks up giving me the busy mouse pointer (spinning blue circle) and Excel goes into (not responding) mode. I haven't been patient enough to sit and wait and see how long it would actually take to resolve (assuming it would eventually), but I have given up after maybe 5 to 10 minutes on several occasions.

The strange thing is, visually, it looks like the filters do get cleared almost immediately (you can visually see the all rows become visible again), but it seems to be trying to process or do something else after that (no idea what).

The table in question is linked to a Query sourced from Power Query (from a SQL database), but it is not exceptionally large, ~30k rows (at least in my world I wouldn't consider that exceptionally large).

I thought I had the problem narrowed down to a custom function that I was using in one column that was set to be Volatile. But I have removed that in my trouble shooting, and still have the problem. There are now no calculations at all in the table, it is just the data coming from the SQL query.

I can't fathom why clearing each individual filter works instantly, but it hangs when clearing all filters. Perhaps something to do with the Power Query link...but even if it was trying to re-run the SQL query or something (don't know why it would, but just a thought), it still shouldn't take long. Refreshing the data from the source SQL query takes maybe 30 seconds when do that.

I am on Office 365, Excel 2016 MSO (16.0.8201.2193) 64-bit, on Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Just to provide a little more info. I have been trying more things to diagnose, and the issue definitely seems to be isolate to tables that are linked to power query queries. But I still have no idea why it is behaving that way....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back