Delete or lock macro?

Eric Kelcher

Board Regular
I have a bunch of macro programs that I either worte or had help from the board that I did after hours to make work easier for me. Looks like I will be leaving at the end of the month. This code has given me abilty to do more at work since reports used to take my predecessor 2-3 days to create and with code I do it in 2 hours. The reports and such that were created are my employers but the macro isn't. I would like to either lock the macro so my replacement cannot use my work or delete them completely. The files are in 4 folders 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. There are about 100 files in each year that have the macro in them. What is easiest way to remove/lock/disable? Most macros are accessed by use of Command Button located on database page that create and merge the databases into the report pages.

I thought about after I had created everything that I should have put the macro in my Personal file at Start up which would make the files smaller (each file exceeds 3Meg with 2000 lines of VBA).

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Check out www.cpearson.com, specifically his page on Programming to the VBE.

Noting that technically the code belongs to your employer if you created it on thier time, regardless of whether or not it was done solely to make your life easier.

You also stand a good chance of burning a big bridge by deleting the code. Why not approach your employer with the opportunity to support the code as a consultant? If they say no, then ask them if they want you to delete it. That's what I did with my last employer (and like the idiots they are, they had me delete it). But that way I left the decision up to them.

HTH,

Upvote 0
smitty , that makes you a good man for asking. and thats why i make my VBA at home and then add them to their stuff. and i all so have a macro to remove all my stuff from their files.

Upvote 0
My sincerest advice is to leave the code as is - let them have it!

Make sure you copy the tasty bits into your code library in case you need them later; that way you still benefit from the intial hard work of developing it.

By leaving the code for them to use, you stay in favour with them. This has to be a good thing: you may need a reference from them at some point and, just as you are moving to another employer, so may some of your colleagues. It would be sod's law if you went for an interview in 24 months only to find your ex-boss sitting across from you at the interview table!

Plus, if the code breaks they'll wish you were around to fix it! As Smitty pointed out, they may even ask you to support it or consult on future projects!

Whether you are disgruntled(?) or not, leaving it for them is a win-win situation. :)

Upvote 0
Also, keep in mind, that while you created the code in your own time, you enhanced your knowledge base and skill level.
When you go to your new occupation, you will take this knowledge and skill with you and this may end up with a better salary package at your new home. To this end, you have, in one form or another, gained renumeration for your work.

When in doubt, don't. !!

Regards
Michael M

Upvote 0
They have already asked me to work as a sub to run the reports. They know it is my program but once I am gone my office computer will be assigned to someone else. Why pay me $200-300 per report when the new guy has it sitting in his lap vs the $400 it was costing them before?

Upvote 0
Why pay me $200-300 per report when the new guy has it sitting in his lap vs the $400 it was costing them before?

You would be amazed how many organizations will keep former employees on as consultants to do just that, because they can't fathom how to do it themselves, or don't want to train someone to do it. Take the $ while you can and leave on great terms, where they know you were willing to continue supporting them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back