delete specific sheets based on user input

MKLAQ

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
hi all,

I search for macro to delete specific sheets or all the sheets except the first sheet by using inputbox , so when run inputbox write 2,3,4 then should delete the second and third and fourth sheets whatever are the sheets' names , and if I write "ALL" then delete all sheets except the first sheet
thanks

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi @MKLAQ. There is a problem with your logic there. When a sheet is deleted, the index numbers of the sheets are recalculated for the remaining sheets. So if you were to enter 2,3,4, thinking that you would be deleting the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sheets, you would actually be deleting the 2nd, 4th, and 6th sheet. You would actually have to enter 2,2,2 to delete the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sheet. Because of that potential confusion, I came up with some code that will delete the sheets one at a time for you:

VBA Code:
Sub SheetDeleter()
'
'   This will delete workbook sheets according to the index number of the sheet entered by the user
'
    Dim UserInput   As Long
'
    UserInput = Application.InputBox("Enter Sheet index to Delete", Type:=1)            ' Type:=1 means integer
'
    Do Until UserInput = False
        If UserInput <> False Then
            Application.DisplayAlerts = False                                           ' Turn display alerts off
'
            ThisWorkbook.Sheets(UserInput).Delete                                       ' Delete sheet
'
            Application.DisplayAlerts = True                                            ' Turn display alerts back on
'
            UserInput = Application.InputBox("Enter Sheet index to Delete", Type:=1)    ' Type:=1 means integer
        End If
    Loop
End Sub

If you wanted to start rapidly deleting sheets starting with the 2nd sheet, you could start the script and when the popup box appears, you could just start hitting 2,Enter,2,Enter,2,Enter, etc.

Let us know if that works for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You would actually have to enter 2,2,2 to delete the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sheet.
it doesn't work it gives the reference is not valid

your code just delete each sheet separately

last note When delete specific sheets , they will not be arranged consecutively I mean if I decide deleting specific sheets first sheet and fourth sheet and seventh sheet together

Upvote 0
How about
VBA Code:
Sub MKLAQ()
   Dim Shts As Variant
   Dim i As Long

Shts = InputBox("Please enter sheet numbers")
   If Shts = "" Then Exit Sub
   If LCase(Shts) = "all" Then
      For i = Sheets.Count To 2 Step -1
         Application.DisplayAlerts = False
         Sheets(i).Delete
         Application.DisplayAlerts = True
      Next i
   Else
      Shts = Split(Shts, ",")
      For i = 0 To UBound(Shts)
         Shts(i) = Sheets(CLng(Shts(i))).Name
      Next i
         Application.DisplayAlerts = False
         Sheets(Shts).Delete
         Application.DisplayAlerts = True
   End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
it doesn't work it gives the reference is not valid

your code just delete each sheet separately
Yes. That is what I stated. The code I submitted is set up to delete one sheet at a time.

The code @Fluff submitted will handle multiple sheets as you requested. @Fluff addressed the issue I mentioned above by converting the numbers to actual sheet names prior to deletion. Very nice!

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back