Deleting Rows

Petman

For some reason, a 200kb file that I've been using (Excel 2007) has suddenly ballooned in size to over 6mb. Upon opening, I found that all 1,048,576 rows were active in the file. It only needs to be about 190 rows.

This should be a simple enough problem - highlight from 191 to the bottom, delete rows, close and save file... Should be fine upon reopening. But for some reason, it is not working. Every time I reopen the file and hit END-HOME, it goes to the last active cell FD1048576. (The column reference is correct!)

What's that they say about insanity is doing the same thing over & over and expecting different results?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
A suggestion to try: Copy all of your data (i.e. rows 1 thru 190), paste that to a new worksheet, and then save that new file.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion.

Because of the named ranges and multitudes of formulas that run from the particular sheet in question, we opted to go back into the network archives and recover the file from a few days prior instead of using your suggestion.

After doing this, we discovered the root of the problem: A macro used a filter to find all instances of a certain condition, then copied a range using "xldown". When there were no rows that met the criteria, it copy / pasted a million+ rows. I fixed the macro to ensure it never happens again.

We didn't answer the original question of why I couldn't delete the million+ "active" rows. But since the problem is fixed, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it!

Thanks for your input...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back