dependent combo box? requery?

allie357

Board Regular
Right now I am using data validation for my method to populate these combos.

I have a sheet with two combo boxes. One lists RC's (Responsiblilty Centers) and the other lists the Departments depending on which RC the user chooses in list one. I am not sure I did this right because a user choose a certain department and Department Drop Down List for some reason is now limited to the School of Nursing departments related to the user’s entry on the contract log. All the department field drop downs for entire sheet are now restricted to the information related to a user's choice on Line 1 & 2.

I had to cut it down severely due to your example size requirements. The first list was called validrcs and the second was The combo boxes pull their data from lists on sheet 1. The original one has 44 items in the first list and over 1300 in the second list. However, depending on what is chosen in list 1 determines which part of list 2 is displayed. I think it needs to requery after each choice is made. Can this be done? How? I am seriously lost here. Any help is appreciated. The data validation for the second list is: =INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(validrcs," ","_"))

I tried changing the data validation for column b to

=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(A4," ","_")) in cell b4 and then copy this validation down the column it should work.

Howver the way you are doing it if column a is changed after column b then the validation method will not work so is there a better way to do this?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back