Dependent Data Validation across workbooks. Source data frequently sorted and manipulated

highlifesipper

Image of (2) workbooks:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7BUBKK8yXCUV2c3V2NSMTlNLVE/view?usp=sharing

I want to be able to compile parts data in one workbook. "MASTER PARTS LIST.xlsx"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7BUBKK8yXCUMnFBZDV1alFNQ2c/view?usp=sharing

Then I want to create a list of parts for a particular project. "PARTS NEEDED FOR SMITH PROJECT.xlsx" that pulls data from the "MASTER PARTS LIST.xlsx"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7BUBKK8yXCUOVBqT3F4X2x4V00/view?usp=sharing

Specifically, I need "PART" column within "PARTS NEEDED FOR SMITH PROJECT.xlsx" to reference "PART" column within "MASTER PARTS LIST.xlsx".

Then, I need "VENDOR" column within "PARTS NEEDED FOR SMITH PROJECT.xlsx" to reference "VENDOR1, VENDOR2, VENDOR3, VENDOR4" columns "MASTER PARTS LIST.xlsx" and be dependent on the text in "PART" column.

As you can see the data set in each workbook I have set up as a table.

I also need to be able to frequently add records, sort and filter the data within "MASTER PARTS LIST.xlsx."

The text within the "PART" column of "MASTER PARTS LIST.xlsx" will need to contain spaces, dashes, double quotes and single quotes. These symbols are inherent to the parts we use and are common identifiers within the industry.

I almost got this to work using dynamic named ranges, but my named ranges contained underscores "_" that replaced the spaces, dashes, double quotes and single quotes. I'm confused about the substitute function.

Also, my named ranges within "MASTER PARTS LIST.xlsx" went from left to right within a row whereas the text in "PART" was the name of the range for "VENDOR1, VENDOR2, VENDOR3 and VENDOR4". When I sort the rows my named range locations would get all messed up. I tried using INDIRECT within named range refer to parameter and removing the "$" signs within the formula.

I can't get it to work properly.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back