DEPENDENT DATA VALIDATION

bigbob

Board Regular
Hello world
I have put together a spreadsheet for keeping track of daily attendance for our staff and have 4 cells for each day .2 start times and 2 finish times .?For each cell I have used data validation to force entry of times at 15 minute intervals .What I would like to achieve is for the second data validation list to begin from the time entered into the first cell rather than showing the full list as at present .I would prefer a solution not involving VBA as my knowledge of this is VERY limited
Thanks in anticipation of your replies
Bob

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.

Andrew Poulsom

MrExcel MVP
Let's say you have a list of times in 15 minute intervals, that it is named Times and forms the source of Data Validation in C1. Choose Insert|Name|Define, type TimesLeft in the Names box, in the Refers to box enter:

=INDEX(Times,MATCH(Sheet1!$C$1,Times)+1):INDEX(Times,ROWS(Times))

changing the reference to C1 if necessary and click OK. Set up Data Validation for your second cell to Allow List, Source:

=TimesLeft

babycody

I was going to suggest this to limit their choices to now rounded up 15 min., but the source doesn't update until after you choose something from the list. Oh well something to look at.
Book1
ABCDEF
4MONDAY
5STARTFINISHSTARTFINISH
611:15 AM11:30 AM11:30 AM11:45 AM
911:45:00 AM
Sheet2

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member