Dependent Drop Down Lists - Dependent List Offers No Options?

mjhyne

Hi all,

Was recommended to visit by a colleague whom people here had previously helped somewhat massively, hoping you won't mind me asking for your assistance as well!

I'm almost certain that this is a really stupid, obvious thing I'm doing wrong, but despite a lot of Googling, different guides & searching these forums, I am still at something of a loss.

So, I've followed a few guides, including: this one.

Seems like its fairly easy right? Create a Row with Headers which forms the first Drop Down List, in this case, I have Headers from I1:P1.

Under each of these are a list of options relevant only to that Header, forming a range I2:P7.

What I Did:

Following the guides, I first applied my Drop Down in B5, reading I1:P1 (this, despite my obvious Excel deficiencies, works fine, as have many before it).

Then, I selected the range, including the Headers, I1:P7 & used Formulas > Create from Selection, using only the "Top Row" Check Box.

Following that, I create a new Drop Down List with Data Validation in cell B22, using the formula:
Code:
=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(B5," ","_"))

Errors & Problems:

However, at this point I get the message:
The Source Currently evaluates to an error. Do you want to continue?

Which, presumably, is my big red flag, because if you try to proceed, the Dependent Drop Down Box offers you a Drop Down Arrow, but nothing more. No options at all.

Like I said, I'm certain that it's a classic case of user error on my part, but I've tried removing the spaces in my range (which is what I had been led to believe the "substitute" portion of my formula was to account for) & a couple of other things I could think of. Unfortunately, this is beyond my limited Excel skill set.

If you are able to help, thanks in advance, & if not, thanks for looking :)

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi & welcome to MrExcel

You will get that error if the B5 does not have a value, when you create the new DV.
However once you have selected a value in B5 the DV in B22 should work

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would have sworn blue that I had thought of, & tested that. But its a new day, a new week & the thing is actually working!

Thank you for your help, & apologies that I was even more of an ejit than I had thought!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyanscott

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back