Dependent drop down lists for groups of items

Shadkng

I would like to modify my existing drop down lists to dependent ones. I have followed some of the online tutorials and made some of my own samples to learn how do make a basic dependent one. I would like to know if something is possible and below is a small sample of what I am working with. The fabrics are one drop down list and the colors are in another drop down list. I know I can assign each of the fabrics it's own colors, but is there a way to assign a group of fabrics to a range of colors? So if I choose any of the "matte" items then the colors in the 2nd drop down would be the same. Same for any the "A3000" which would show a different set of colors. Otherwise it seems like I will have many named ranges because I have over 100 different fabrics and many colors. I just got started with these dependent lists so maybe I'm missing something obvious. Thanks

Fabrics
Matte
Matte30
Mattecol
mattesqyd
matte77
A3000 1%
A3000 3%
A3000 5%
A3000 10%

colors (these colors would be for the "matte items"
White
oyster
ivory
green

colors (these colors would be for the "A3000" items"
grey blue
char char
white linen
bronze

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I don't think you can get around the method of having one Named Range for each of your 1st drop-down options - but remember that you can quickly create the names from the field headings (i.e. the 1st dropdown options) using the Create from Selection option.

Upvote 0
If you can clearly define the fabrics, then it can be done.
So if your fabrics will be 5 characters (as you've shown), or if there is always a space after the fabric name, or some other method of defining the fabric.

Upvote 0
Not sure if I can define...silly question - can I define in an adjacent column somehow?

Upvote 0
Not that I'm aware of.
With what you showed in the OP, you would have a named range called "matte_" and one called "A3000_" you could then use this in the DV
=INDIRECT(LEFT(L2,5)&"_")
where L2 is the Fabrics DV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camelliaCase

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back