Dependent listings

saigespop

Hello,

I am trying to create a shared spreadsheet where users can select an original value from a drop down listing, and then fill out remaining information using additional drop down listings that are dependent upon the original drop down listing.
There is one catch. The dependent drop down listings have "dimension" type values that predict what value should be displayed. I can write what I am trying to do easily in a SQL query, but trying to convert this thinking into an Excel formula is becoming overwhelming.

STORE REGION
1234 ABCD
5678 EFGH
9101 IJKL

select s.store,r.region
from store s, region r
where s.conference = r.conference

If a user selects "Store One", I want only the available "Region" values for "Store One" to be displayed as a selection. This is based on both "Store" and "Region" having the same "Conference" value (join).

I have read all kinds of information about dependent lists in Excel, using IF statements, etc. But I am becoming overwhelmed and confused.

I have created a "Lists" tab within a Excel workbook that contains a "Store" listing, "Region" listing, and two listings of "Conference" valules. But, as mentioned, I am becoming overwhelmed and the concepts are not fitting together.

Thank you for any help!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-fo...73-drop-down-listings-w-join.html#post4964767

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back