Deriving column number for use within a (COUNTIF) formula

Stormy234

I would greatly appreciate some help with a method to derive a column number to be used as the range criteria for the COUNTIF function, where gthe column number is being derived in a lookup.

I have a two tables:
  • Table A has 446 columns and 900 rows - the cells in row 1 of Table A contain column headings (as would normally be expected!), the cells in rows 2 to 900 contain eithers zero's or other (i.e. non-zero) values. No cells is Table A are blank.
  • Table B is a transposed list of the column headings for Table A which has been sorted alphabetically, with some additional information about each Column heading - namely a) what column number that column heading is in Table A and b) how many non-zero values there are in that column in Table A.

I am trying top work out how to create a formula that will provide the second bit of information.

So for example,
Table A
Incident
Action
Risk
Id
A
B
A

<tbody>
</tbody>

Table B
ColTxt
ColNo
Formula
Action
COUNTIF(B1:B4,"<>0")
Id
COUNTIF(D1:D4,"<>0")
Incident
COUNTIF(A1:A4,"<>0")
Risk
COUNTIF(C1:C4,"<>0")

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need a generic formula for column 3 of Table B that will
  1. use the text in ColumnA of Table B to determine which Column in Table A to use in the formlua (ie derive the Table A Column Number)
  2. Having derived the column number is step 1, count how many non-zero values exist in that column in Table A
So I want a single formula to use in all rows of Table B Column 3. In the above example I have hardcoded the column to use in the range - I want to derive this so that a common formula can be used .

Thanks in advance and apologies for any confusion caused by my way of describing the problem - I hope it makes sense!

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Using the sample data you posted I will go with the assumption that ColNum on TableB is in column ABC (totally arbitrary). Try the following:
=COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$2:$A$5,,ABC2-1),"<>0") in cell ABD2 (Formula column). Suit to your needs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back