Design help for showing/hiding rows

Michael Simpson

Board Regular
At the moment, I'm not after any actual code (though that may well change :)). I'm more after ideas on a best way to solve a problem. I'm an average VBA programmer (amazing what you can find by googling), but one thing I've learnt with VBA/Excel is it's your imagination that is often the limiter. Anyway - to my design problem.

You have a bunch of parent rows where each one could contain one or more child rows. Generally, the user will want to review the parents, and then might want to drill down and review the children. I've come up with a couple of designs at the moment.

All the rows on one sheet, children hidden. Some sort of toggle that shows/hides the children. Question - will you need one toggle for EACH parent, or can you have a general toggle that then interprets where the cursor is and toggles accordingly ? (... and how would you solve the toggle button being, say, on row 1 and the row they want to toggle is a couple of pages down ?)

You have all the parents on one sheet, and the parents/children (all) shown on the second sheet. The user places focus on the parent on sheet 1 and presses "something", whereupon the code performs a "hyperlink" to the correct row on the second sheet. Question - how difficult to build, and what solution to "go back" to the correct parent on the first sheet ?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
My immediate thought when I saw your reply

was "Oooh, nice". Thank you Andrew. That seems a much more elegant solution (on a scale of 1-10 as an Excel user, I'm a 0.5).

I assume you can create an outline using VBA programming ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back