Designating a file with a macro as SAFE

NextYearSox

My current security settings require the user to manually authorize the open of a file with a Macro. Is there any mechanism for telling Excel that certain files are safe so I don't have get asked the question every time? Otherwise, I still want to maintain the global safety setting.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Basically, No.
Your security setting is global and doesn't differentiate between different files.

Upvote 0
I'm a Mac user and the security is different there, but my understanding is that no matter how low a Windows user/administrator sets the security, opening a workbook with macros will always create a dialog box asking whether Macros should be enabled.

Is that the case?

Upvote 0
Hi Mike
Slightly different.
If a security is set to low the workbook will open without prompting the user.
Medium will ask the user if they wish to enable macros
High won't open any workbook with a macro

Upvote 0
The macro security setting is a setting in Excel, right?

Couldn't it be manipulated through another application?

So that you could access the files you want to access through another application, which would temporarily reduce the security settings, then reset them when the instance of that other application closed.

Upvote 0
Glory
Yeah, you're probably correct. I guess if you google enough you'd find it, but it won't be on this Forum.
I believe it would be a breach of Forum rules to suggest methods to bypass security of any sort

Upvote 0
In xl goto options - you will see a whole section on security and trusted sources - I use xl2007 - not sure what you use.

Upvote 0
In xl goto options - you will see a whole section on security and trusted sources - I use xl2007 - not sure what you use.

Upvote 0
Your security setting is global and doesn't differentiate between different files.
As has been alluded to recently in this thread, that is no longer the case - Excel 2007+. You can, among other things, set certain files to be 'Trusted' or set certain locations as 'Trusted'.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter
I was aware of that point made by Rasm, I wasn't sure of the OP's version.
Which, I might add I should have asked for first !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back