Detect invisible form due to filter with no records

krausr79

Board Regular
I have a form based on a read-only query. It is a split form, so people can filter it. If a filter is applied that shows no records, the form disappears.

Well, the header doesn't disappear. I intend to have a message in the header show up when there are no records showing how to click 'Toggle Filter' so they can see the form again. My problem is that I can't find a good event to run this with.

So far, I've tried Form_Current, Form_ApplyFilter, and Form_AfterFinalRender. Finalrender never fired, applyfilter occurs before the filter is applied, and current doesn't fire when there are no records.

The code I am using to do this works if it can just happen when the form is blank:
Dim RS As Recordset
Set RS = Me.RecordsetClone
If RS.RecordCount = 0 Then
Me.lblNotice.Visible = True
Else
Me.lblNotice.Visible = False
End If
RS.Close
Set RS = Nothing

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
applyfilter occurs before the filter is applied
Double check this? AFAIK, if the filter is not applied, the event doesn't run when the ribbon button is clicked until a value is chosen and applied - then it runs. If it has already been applied, it runs when the ribbon button is clicked, which is before a new value can be chosen. Assuming I'm correct about that, I suggest that if a value is chosen you can do a DCount on the table or query behind the form using the filter as criteria. If the count is 0, cancel the filter. I confess I've never used this event, so I'm assuming 'Cancel As Integer' will allow cancelling the application of the filter, at which point you can message the user. You get the filter by referencing Me.Filter.

If they're picking a value from the filter list, isn't the only one that might cause this issue the "Blanks" option?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back