Determining line values on a chart

Half Measures

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a way to determine a Y coordinate on a Scatter with Straight Lines and Markers chart, given a specific X value? For instance, a line is drawn connecting points on said chart type. If I have a predetermined X value, is there an expression used to give the exact Y value from that line that corresponds with that given X value on the chart?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Wouldn't it just be whatever your plot formula is ? Y = 2X, etc.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it just be whatever your plot formula is ? Y = 2X, etc.
To be more specific, let's say I've created points on the chart. Those points will be connected with a line. What if I am wanting to know the Y coordinates on that line between those two points, if only given an X value? Does that make better sense? It's hard to explain in text only. Wish I could do a share-screen call with you, to show you what I'm talking about better.

I mean, I can see where if I hover my cursor over a point on a chart, it will give me the X and Y coordinates. But, those have been calculated already. I am wanting the coordinates on a line between two points, if given a value for X. If that X value hasn't been calculated using the points, I would like to know the values on the line.

Upvote 0
If I recall correctly form my geometry class some 65 or so years ago, you find the Y value of an X cordinate by using the formula for the plot slope and solving for Y when you have the value of X. But that was long ago and I could be wrong. Now If you are plotting strictly from a range of values on a worksheet range and have no idea where the numbers in that range came from, that could be a problem. You would have to reverse engineer to get the formula that gives you the relationship of X to Y. That could be very difficult with a scatter chart because they are not created with linear equations. Sorry I cannot help you more, but you need to know the equation used to produce the chart to be able to detrmine the Y value when X value is known.

Upvote 0
If I recall correctly form my geometry class some 65 or so years ago, you find the Y value of an X cordinate by using the formula for the plot slope and solving for Y when you have the value of X. But that was long ago and I could be wrong. Now If you are plotting strictly from a range of values on a worksheet range and have no idea where the numbers in that range came from, that could be a problem. You would have to reverse engineer to get the formula that gives you the relationship of X to Y. That could be very difficult with a scatter chart because they are not created with linear equations. Sorry I cannot help you more, but you need to know the equation used to produce the chart to be able to detrmine the Y value when X value is known.
Thank you for the response. Guess I was trying to find a quick, easier way of doing this. lol. Going to take a deeper dive, unfortunately. Guess I was confused how the linear chart works. Didn't know that was done from equations. I thought it was more of a trendline, trying it's best to connect dots that do not add up to a straight line. Was thinking the same could be done with lines that connect dots, in finding coordinates on lines that haven't any calculated points made. I suppose the lines on the scatter plot charts I'm talking about have lines for aesthetic purposes, not equational ones.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back