Dialog Box, Form, or Macro that Adds Rows of Data to the End of an Excel Table

Chrisdudley7

I have a spreadsheet in which I need to create a dialog box, form, or field-entry box for simple end-user data entry that automatically adds entries to the bottom of a table. My end-users are very inexperienced using excel and I want to design something for them that makes for simple data entry and minimal searching. Ideally, this would be a popup box that presents as soon as the workbook is opened and therefore minimizes the chances that they might disrupt the archived data in the spreadsheet.

On my end, I added a button to my Quick Access toolbar called ‘Forms…’ that automatically creates fields that correspond with the available cells. This is similar to what I am hoping to achieve and maybe a simple macro that pops open the field entry box when they start the macro-enabled workbook would suffice. I feel like this must be a fairly basic function in excel that is not immediately obvious to me (e.g. like the letter template dialog box that punches return/sender addresses into a printable document)

I have a screenshot and a sample worksheet that will help explain what I am going for, though I don’t see a way to attach it here.

Any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. I have always had great experiences on Mr. Excel.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
To show screenshots, save your screenshot on a photosharing site and put the link in your mail. Same if you want to share a workbook.

There is the simplest of input devices called InputBox
Code:
dim vA as variable
vA = application.Inputbox("Enter date for new sheet", "Enter Date")

This is useful if you just need one item from the user.

Else you would construct a userform with all the fields and explanation of the input required, and then some code to be carried out when the user presses the OK button.

you can write protect the worksheet so the user cannot change anything there, with a button on the sheet to call the userform, and/or call theuserform or inputbox from the workbook_open sub.
To make it fool proof requires a bit of work and logic. What happens when the user cancels what happens when he closes the form, etc, etc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back