Dice Roll Move

Daven13

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, I am trying to write a 'board game' in VBA.
I have sorted the code to get the potential available spaces based on position and dice rolled but I am struggling to figure out a way to show actual moves available.

The images show a roll of 9 on the dice (red squares) with the yellow as a starting point but with buildings in the way (grey squares).
I need the code to figure where you can move to within the area (yellow square) after having to go round the buildings (Image 2).

I hope this is clear and any help would be appreciated as I've been racking my brains for several weeks.

Thanks

Attachments

• Move 1.png
    Move 1.png
    2 KB · Views: 5
  • Move 2.png
    Move 2.png
    2 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Help me understand the rules of the game. Does a roll of 9 mean that you MUST move 9 spaces? Or does it simply provide an area of permitted movement. (barring obstructions). I'll explain my question depending upon your answer. I think that you are looking for an algorithm such as Dijkstra's algorithm. Search on that, and in particular, a VBA implementation.

Upvote 0
Hi dataluver. The roll permits you to move any direction, even back on previous spaces. So you could end up moving 9 spaces in one direction or could move up then down repeatedly, but yes, the player must move all nine spaces.

Upvote 0
Ok. So, in my shot below, from yellow, with a roll of 9, the only squares the user could possibly land on would be the red ones. Correct? An odd roll would only result in a red square and an even roll would only result in a blue square.

Are all of your obstructions ALWAYS a rectangle?
What is the min and max dice roll?
Any other move related rules that you have left out?

Upvote 0
That image is absolutely correct. My mistake.
Yes all of the buildings will be rectangles.
It would be 2x 6 dice so between 2 and 12.

Thank you for continuing to help me out with this.

Upvote 0
No problem. Iv'e not made a game before and this seems like a fun little project. What approach have you come up with so far as far as determining possible moves? Please post what you have.

Upvote 0
I've compiled a slightly briefer version. It's not the prettiest code and I'm sure there is a much simpler way of doing this.
I've chosen a start point and dice roll just for testing at this point and I also added the checkerboard option as you pointed out.

VBA Code:
Sub Moves()
Dim Start, Dice, Colouring As String
Start = "S43"
Dice = "12"

Range("B1:AK95").Interior.Color = xlNone
Range("S44:X50").Interior.Color = 12566463
Range("K45:M47").Interior.Color = 12566463

Range(Start).Activate

'Initial Grid
For x = 0 To Dice
For y = 0 To Dice
If Range(Start).Offset(x, y).Interior.Color <> 12566463 And x + y < Dice + 1 Then Range(Start).Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = 255
If Range(Start).Offset(-x, y).Interior.Color <> 12566463 And x + y < Dice + 1 Then Range(Start).Offset(-x, y).Interior.Color = 255
If Range(Start).Offset(x, -y).Interior.Color <> 12566463 And x + y < Dice + 1 Then Range(Start).Offset(x, -y).Interior.Color = 255
If Range(Start).Offset(-x, -y).Interior.Color <> 12566463 And x + y < Dice + 1 Then Range(Start).Offset(-x, -y).Interior.Color = 255
Next y
Next x

Try1:
For t = 1 To 20 '20 Atempts at finding path
Range(Start).Activate

For c = 1 To Dice

For n = 1 To 4
On Error Resume Next
If ActiveCell.Offset(-n, 0).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Activate: GoTo Colour
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, n).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Activate: GoTo Colour
If ActiveCell.Offset(n, 0).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate: GoTo Colour
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, -n).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Activate: GoTo Colour
Next n

Directions: 'If no red near, choose random direction
d = Int((4 - 1 + 1) * Rnd + 1)
If d = 1 And ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Interior.Color <> 12566463 Then ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Activate: GoTo Colour
If d = 2 And ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Interior.Color <> 12566463 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Activate: GoTo Colour
If d = 3 And ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Interior.Color <> 12566463 Then ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate: GoTo Colour
If d = 4 And ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Interior.Color <> 12566463 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Activate: GoTo Colour
GoTo Directions

Colour:
If ActiveCell.Interior.Color = 12566463 Then GoTo Try1
ActiveCell.Interior.Color = 0

Next c
Next t

Try2:
For t = 1 To 20
Range(Start).Activate
For c = 1 To Dice

For n = 1 To 7
On Error Resume Next
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, -n).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Activate: GoTo Colour2
If ActiveCell.Offset(n, 0).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate: GoTo Colour2
If ActiveCell.Offset(0, n).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Activate: GoTo Colour2
If ActiveCell.Offset(-n, 0).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Activate: GoTo Colour2
Next n

Direction:
d = Int((4 - 1 + 1) * Rnd + 1)
If d = 1 And ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Interior.Color <> 12566463 Then ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Activate: GoTo Colour2
If d = 2 And ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Interior.Color <> 12566463 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Activate: GoTo Colour2
If d = 3 And ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Interior.Color <> 12566463 Then ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate: GoTo Colour2
If d = 4 And ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Interior.Color <> 12566463 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Activate: GoTo Colour2
GoTo Direction

Colour2:
If ActiveCell.Interior.Color = 12566463 Then GoTo Try2
ActiveCell.Interior.Color = 0

Next c
Next t

'Grid......
Range(Start).Offset(-Dice, -Dice).Activate

For x = 0 To (Dice * 2)
For y = 0 To (Dice * 2)
If ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = 0 And (x + y) Mod 2 = 0 Then ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = 15773696
Next y
Next x

If Dice Mod 2 = 0 Then Colouring = 0 Else Colouring = 15773696
For x = 0 To (Dice * 2)
For y = 0 To (Dice * 2)
If ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = Colouring Then ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = xlNone
Next y
Next x

For x = 0 To (Dice * 2)
For y = 0 To (Dice * 2)
If ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = 15773696 Then ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = 192
If ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = 0 Then ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = 192
If ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = 255 Then ActiveCell.Offset(x, y).Interior.Color = xlNone
Next y
Next x

End Sub

Upvote 0
I see what you are doing. Our approach is similar. I had in mind working with an array which will probably be faster. This is out of my depth and I am no CS major, but fun = persistence. I'll post what I have when I have something to post. :)

Upvote 0
That's great. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Upvote 0
I just stumbled upon this thread and realized it's been sitting here for three years! Time flies, doesn't it? But hey, even though it's been a while, I thought I'd jump in and offer some help.
Writing a board game in VBA sounds like a cool project! Sorting out the code to determine potential available spaces based on position and dice rolls is no small feat.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back