difference between [h]:mm and h:mm format

ssvv

What is the difference between [h]:mm and h:mm format.

When I try to multiply the number of employees (12) by the hours worked per employee (7:30:00, meaning 7.5 hours) using h:mm:ss format excel generates 9:00:00. Which is incorrect because 12 employees working 7.5 hours each equals more than 9 hours.

However, if I run the same calculation using [h]:mm:ss format, I get the correct answer (105:00:00).

I would appreciate if someone can tell me why this is the case and explain the difference between the two formats. Thank you!!

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
h:mm is designed for "clock times"...so it never shows more than 23:59....for "elapsed times" (where hours might be 24+) you can use [h]:mm. the same works for minutes and seconds.....

Upvote 0
I think you're close to explaining the difference yourself.

[h]:mm:ss shows the total number of hours, even if the number of hours is 24 or more.

hh:mm:ss effectively only shows the excess hours over and above complete multiples of 24.
In your example, 105 hours is 4x24, or 4 whole days, plus 9 more hours, so it just shows the 9.

Remember, this is only a display format - the underlying values are the same in both cases.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back