% difference between two values, which can either be positive or negative

GingaNinga

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello there - I have the need to determine the % between two different values (Actuals / Target). This normally works if both values are positive, or both are negative.
I have been able to create an IF statement to handle most of the exceptions I am seeing (the formulas contained in columns c & d are below the screenshot)

There is however one exception that I am unable to solve for, and this when the Actual is positive and the Target is a negative value.
1603898016827.png

You can see the issue in the above screenshot where my target is negative, my actual is positive, but I am returning a negative % to Target result. The result in D3 should be 175.8%, and D4 should be 140% I believe

Below are the current formulas I am applying to help deal with the positive and negative integers:

Column C Formula: =IF(A2<0,0.000000001,A2)
Column D Formula: =IFERROR(IF(B2>A2,B2/A2,(IF(B2/C2<0,0,B2/C2))),1)

Attachments

• 1603897984997.png
    1603897984997.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 3

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
This give the expected results (slight difference on D3) but may not work as required with positive target and negative actual.
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(B2>A2,IF(SIGN(A2)<>SIGN(B2),ABS(A2)/ABS(B2),B2/A2),(IF(B2/C2<0,0,B2/C2))),1)

Upvote 0
IFERROR(IF(B2>A2,IF(SIGN(A2)<>SIGN(B2),ABS(A2)/ABS(B2),B2/A2),(IF(B2/C2<0,0,B2/C2))),1)
This is great! Thanks for that, this has solved all but 1 of the issues, which I did not expect to encounter, in cell I197 (53.1%)

I believe that the value should be around 188% (Actual is +4.9, vs -2.6), is there a way around this without impacting the success on all the other values?

1603908368363.png

Upvote 0
Without an explanation of how you're arriving at the figures that you believe are correct this is only a guess, it might be possible to trim it down a little without compromising the results.
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(B2>A2,IF(SIGN(A2)<>SIGN(B2),MAX(ABS(A2),ABS(B2))/MIN(ABS(A2),ABS(B2)),B2/A2),(IF(B2/C2<0,0,B2/C2))),1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back