Different passwords for Excel

DaGoose

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a file with passwords for over 300 pieces of equipment that have three levels of passwords.
Level 1=Operator (limited access)
Level 2= Maintenance (machine level access)
Level 3=Management (full access).

Is there a way to have three different passwords to allow a person to see ONLY their level?
ie.. Operator could only see the operators password and the file be read only, all other passwords show up as ** or not at all.

Maintenance could view only the Maintenance level and Operators level and the file be read only, Management level passwords show up as ** or not at all.

Management have full access to all and the ability to change passwords. I dont want to have to rewrite this speadsheet if I can get out of it. But the information can not be shared.

I am afraid I know the answer already but thought I would ask.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
You could probably do this with custom views. It's been a long time since I've worked with them, but you should be able to show only the columns allowed for each class of password. You can then use an Open event to check the userID and then default to the appropriate "Custom View". Some heavy up front work, but it should work. You might have to make this a shared workbook.

lenze

Upvote 0
Thanks I was looking into that, But finally figured rewritting it as 3 seperate spreadsheets would be the safe way to accomplish this. I dont need the wrong passwords in the wrong hands. rather be safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back