Different UOM (Days vs. Years) On A Line Chart

OilData

Okay guys...Here's a tricky one that I, nor my co-workers, cannot figure out! However, we need to pull this off due to a report for upper management.

I am comparing the WTI OK Cushing Spot Price for Crude Oil against hourly rates for two different service types from 5-7 vendors. The problem is, in order for you to visualize the true movement in the price of oil, it needs to be "charted" as a daily price. Therefore, my first set of data is: (1), daily spot price of WTI from January 01, 2007 to December 31, 2010, which is 1009 different numbers. My second set of data is an hourly rate from Vendors A through F by year. Therefore, an example of one of my sets of vendor data would be: (2), annual rate of Vendor A for each year, between 2007 - 2010, which is only 4 different numbers.

I've tried creating a line chart with a secondary axis to allow for the WTI Spot Price to reference the secondary axis and primary axis, while the Vendor Data references the other. I've tried combo charts with line/column clusters. I've tried everything, however since the Unit of Measurement (UOM) for the point in time is different (annual rate vs. daily price), I can't get the two to vibe on one chart.

Therefore, my only solution has been to overlay two different charts after formatting like crazy (which, honestly, looks pretty shoddy).

If anyone can tell me how to create a graph with varying units of measurement (annual rate vs. daily rate), I would be in forever debt to you.

Sincerely,

Lost Number Cruncher.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back