Difficult Situation External Links (tried everything- need advanced user to help)

Pat_The_Bat

Board Regular
I know everyone is going to think this is an easy one to solve, but please read all before commenting.
This is not the typical situation where all you need to do is CTRL F and search for [ or search for .xlm

I've tried those fixes.
It is not as simple as going into Excel Options and unchecking the box at Options>Advanced>General> Ask to update automatic links either.

I have Ctrl- F'd many times in both values and formulas (and even comments for giggles) and I can't find the external link.

But every time I open the workbook, the workbook says external links exist and when I say YES to the prompt to update external links, I can see in the bottom right hand corner that Excel is opening the file Snyder_Michael.xlms and updating data from that file.

But when I search for that file name with CTRL F, I get no result.

I thought maybe it was in a hidden worksheet in the workbook so i inserted this sub

Code:
Sub UnhideSheets()

Dim sh As Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
sh.Visible = xlSheetVisible
Next

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Then I wanted to make sure that the external link wasn't hiding in a hidden row or column (in which case CTRL F would not find it),
so I inserted the code below...

Code:
Sub Unhide_ColumnsRows_On_All_Sheets()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
            ws.Cells.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
            ws.Cells.EntireRow.Hidden = False
    Next ws
End Sub

No matter what I do, I cannot find this darn link. I use Ctrl F and search all the following

.xml
.xmls
[
snyder
michael

none work even though the link opens the workbook Snyder_Michael.xlms

(I can see in the bottom right hand corner of Excel window that Excel is opening the file Snyder_Michael.xlms and updating data from that file when I agree to update external links)

I have also clicked on the Formula menu and clicked show formulas to manually search for the reference. No Luck.
I've done searches in the VBA code in case for some strange reason there is a explicit reference to that workbook in there (Can't imagine I would ever do that). No luck.

Totally stuck here.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I tried the name manager. No luck there. This problem persists. Still get the same msg every time.

Sorry, we couldn't find 'https://spsname.sharepoint.com/Documents/Snyder_Michael-Client Workbook.xlsm' Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back