Difficulty Copying IF Function

Brow5213

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am struggling with my IF function as it is copying down but the formula turns grey and does not adjust for the row it is moving down.

Essentially, I am looking to calculate the time to fill which was originally done by using the DatedIf function containing job posing date and the start date. But, because not every posting has a start date yet, the function was returning the #N/A error, which makes sense. This error was impacting a different calculation on a new column.

I want to correct this by eliminating the #N/A error with 0 or "" which is caused by the position status being "Open." I attempted to correct this by using the following formula: =IF((A6:A79="Open"), "", DATEDIF(D6,T6,"D")).

The formula seemed to have worked for the cell it was written in, but when I try to copy down, the DatedIf conditions do not change with the cell. As you can see in the image, a thin blue box wraps around the U column and the formula is greyed out and cannot be edited in all of the below cells.

Seeking any assistance available. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Excel function help.PNG
    Excel function help.PNG
    51.4 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(D6="",T6=""), "", DATEDIF(D6,T6,"D"))

Upvote 1
Solution
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(D6="",T6=""), "", DATEDIF(D6,T6,"D"))
Thank you so much!! This worked great. For my understanding, what causes the function to grey and not change as the cells move down?

Secondary question:
I tried to use the OR function within another function that is calculating a running total of unique variables within a column (=COUNTIF($H$6:H7,H7)).

Adding =IF(OR(D6=""), "", COUNTIF($H$6:H7,H7)) was able to remove a number from the cell if that was not open, but the unique variable was still counted in the next cell with the same variable because it is posted.

I want to essentially remove a variable being counted if it has not been posted. What would this formula look like?

Attachments

• Open running total excel.PNG
    Open running total excel.PNG
    25.7 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Fraid I have no idea what you mean by this.
Apologies - the first question can be ignored.

I am trying to calculate a running total of specific groups, but I do not want one to be counted if it does not have a posted date.

The CountIF formula helps me find the running total of unique groups, but it counts a group no matter if it has a posting date or not. I am hoping to have a running count that excludes those groups.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
As this is now a totally different question, it needs a new thread. Thanks

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back