Difficulty deleting rows + columns

tushiroda

Board Regular
So I have a user who has managed to max both rows and columns with empty cells in excel 2007. Even with everything else closed, I can only delete a few rows or a few columns at a time before I am forced to save. Generally if its maxed on either rows or columns, I can CTRL END and delete + save in one shot, but maxed columns x rows is making Excel ill. Any ideas as to how I could clean this file up faster?

crossing my fingers on this one..

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
If you accidentally copy down to the last row, about 1mm rows in excel 2007 and then clear the contents (without deleting the column as a whole) excel will maintain all of the rows. you can see this by the change in the scrollbar size from normal to a thin bar. To fix this, you would go to say row 10, highlight the entire row, CTRL+END, delete them all and then save. This l shrink the tab back to normal. This user managed to do this for both rows and columns so the file is now enormous. Even for the 2 column deletions, Excel states that it will do this without the possibility of undo. Hope that clarifies the issue

Upvote 0
bumping. As a side note, possibly there are some performance settings that might help if they are turned off and after deleting, I can turn them back on? I'm not aware of anything like this though

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back