Difficulty Refreshing / Editing Connections of Source Data

samgray85

Hi

Situation:
  • I have a working PowerPivot Workbook that imports data from Source.xlsx
  • Source.xlsx is getting large and unwieldy. I'd like to change its file format to .xlsb (Save As > Source.xlsb)
  • I have saved a new file called Source New.xlsb (identical to Source.xlsx just new file name and extension)

Complication:
  • When I go to the PowerPivot window > Home > Edit Connections and try to point PowerPivot from Source.xlsx to Source New.xlsb and attempt to refresh the data it just goes into an infinite refresh loop and eventually crashes.

How do I fix this?

Thanks

Sam

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Wow, that is a new one :( I thought for sure you would say you needed to switch to SQL or something, and that really isn't supported. I really thought your scenario should "just work".

Same data? Like maybe you added rows and finally blew a memory cap and crashed? 32 bit? 64 bit?

Upvote 0
That could be a possibility. I am using 32 bit and have had a lot of trouble running out of resources, hence the switch to XLSB.

New rows have been added to Source.xlsx - but this was refreshable. The same data set on XLSB was not refreshable.

I have a 64 bit set up at home so will give that a go.

Upvote 0
Wow, that is a new one :( I thought for sure you would say you needed to switch to SQL or something, and that really isn't supported. I really thought your scenario should "just work".

Same data? Like maybe you added rows and finally blew a memory cap and crashed? 32 bit? 64 bit?

It would appear that 32 bit and RAM was the issue.

I ran the update via my 64 bit setup and tracked the RAM usage through Task Manager - 32 bits / 2 GB cap just could not cope.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back