Disappearing formulas

RGH

Board Regular
When I type a simple formula into a cell, example =2/4*10, then hit enter and go to another cell, then go back, the cell that had a formula will just have a value of 5 with no formula in the forumula box.

There doesn't seem to be any logic to when it occurs, may be a spreadsheet someone sent to me or a new one I created. How can I make this stop? Even though it is a simple formula, I want to be able to see the different numbers, not just the result of the formula.

Rob

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
If the sheet is protected and the cells set to Hidden, formulas won't be visible.

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0
It's not protected. I'll give an actual example.

I typed in =7612/3

I came back after going to another cell, and the cell contained 2537.33333333333 in the formula bar at the top of the sheet.

Upvote 0
When you typed in =7612/3, to Excel that's a math formula and when you hit enter, Excel calculates it, which is what most people want. If you want it to remain as entered, format your cells as TEXT.

lenze

Upvote 0
Not quite, I want to to calc the formula, but I want to be able to see the formula in the formula bar as well.

This issue only happens with the simple math formulas, forumulas like round, concatencate, etc don't have this problem. The complex formula's return the answer in the cell, but still allow the orignal forumula in its entirety in the formula bar.

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter, those are the same problems I've experienced. It has to be some quirk in excel. This has happened to me before on different computers and spreadsheets with different companys. To me it seems totally random. :confused:

Rob

Upvote 0
If you copy the errant cell to a previously "working" cell, does the problem move with it?
What about if you copy a working cell onto the errant cell, does the problem go away?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back