dismissing errors

silentcoates

Hello,

I have quite a few probs that I need to resolve I will try to list them all. I just want to thank you all for your help as this website has been invaluable to me.

anyway back to business.

I have a table and in one of the columns I have some percentage scores (this column has a formula in each cell =VLOOKUP(B4,'Input Sheet'!H2:L130,5,0) )some of the cells show DIV/0! (an error value or something like it) How do I get the cells to show a 0 value so whe I add a total cell at the bottom of the column it works as at the moment it shows DIV/0!

Also I have a list of names in alphabetical order next to which I have a list of scores (a percentage) on sheet two I have a list of 5 names from that original list. I need a formula to show the average score for the 5 names.

hope these all make sense

thanks

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Why are you getting the Div/0 error? You should really try to fix that first. If you can't, then try:

If(iserror(VLOOKUP(B4,'Input Sheet'!H2:L130,5,0) ),0,VLOOKUP(B4,'Input Sheet'!H2:L130,5,0))).

For the second question Try:

=Sumif(range to check,criteria,range to sum)/Countif(range to check,criteria)

Upvote 0
Hi,

To dismiss a #DIV/0! error you can use something like htis ..

=Numerator/MAX(1,Denomenator)

And it sounds like you want an IF/AVERAGE formula. You can use a CSE formula for this (assuming your data ranges ..

=AVERAGE(IF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20=A1,Sheet1!$B$1:$B$20))

This is assuming your range of names to check is in Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20 and your name to check is in A1. Also that your range of figures associated with your names are in the neighboring B column of Sheet1.

The Avg formula(s) must be confirmed with Ctrl + Shift + Enter, not just enter; hence them being called CSE formulas, or array formulas.

Is this what you were looking for?

Upvote 0
the only reason I can think of that I am getting this error is because the data that the link links to is entered over a period of time so some of the cells are blank untill I need to add data to them.

can you help?

Upvote 0
Where is the division being done?

Perhaps at that point, you can say something like, =If(cell1="",0,cell2/cell1) or whatever your division statement might be. The important thing is to replace the error with something more tangeable.

Then you could use your original vlookup statement:

=VLOOKUP(B4,'Input Sheet'!H2:L130,5,0)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back