Display a comment or note using VLookup

HNarli

Hi,

I have a bill of material that is uses VLookups to reference a table of supplier cost prices. In the attached image you can see that cell U5 has the suppliers part number 'LABOUR' and cell V5 is doing the lookup and adding in the description and cell X5 the same lookup and adding the price. This works well and I am happy with this.

However, my bill of material is made of multiple blocks like this as I need to add other costs into the mix as well as just the labour (see image) This means I have (MPN, Description, Qty, Cost) multiplied across multiple columns (up to 10 times).

As we have long supplier descriptions the sheet looks very messy when everything is pulled through and this stretches out the columns quite wide so even with a widescreen monitor its still struggle to see it all. To cut out some of the columns/mess I am hoping there is a way I could put the long description into a comment or note instead so that when the user hovers over the supplier part numbers it would do the Vlookup and show the long description as a comment in the same cell (see image two), this would make the spreadsheet a lot easier to view and less clutter on the page.

I tried to look this up myself and I think people have achieved this with a macro, however what’s confusing me is the fact I have multiple columns that the supplier part number can go into. So in this scenario when the user rolls over each of the blue cells is where the descriptions being looked up should show. I wonder if the macro would target anything starting with 'MPN', but I'm just guessing as I have no idea!!

I am not an Excel guru so I guess I am starting with asking if this even possible? If so then I can provide more information try and work out a macro!
Thank you so much in advance, this is the last bit to my project and it would make the spreadsheet so much better! :)

Attachments

• excel_bom.JPG
    excel_bom.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 25
  • excel_bom_2.JPG
    excel_bom_2.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 23

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back