Display All Permutations of a List Without Repeating Values

Yabber

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to get this to work this out for a while but am starting to struggle and am running out of time!

I'm trying to optimise a running order for a show and am looking to generate all possible permutations of a possible running order with 28 acts. Below is an example of what I'm looking for with just 3 acts. The input for this would simply be the number of acts (in this case 3).

ActActAct
Option 1123
Option 2132
Option 3213
Option 4231
Option 5312
Option 6321

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have tried to generate this using For loops in VBA but cannot solve the issue of repeating acts (ie. each act can only happen once 1,3,3 is not a possible option)

Is anyone able to provide some VBA code or some advice to help me? I realise that 28 acts will result in a large number of permutations but have already written a macro to sort and rank these. I'm hoping that the number of rows will be less than excels limit! I have been trying to find and learn from similar examples online but cannot find anything to match my criteria.

I will continue to work on it myself but my experience of VBA is recording functions and very basic ifs and for loops.

Thank you in Advance!

Yabber :)

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Update: if my calculations are correct 28 acts leaves me with about 3x10^29 permutations which is far to many :p

It would still be great to get this working for say 10 acts as I can work with it split into smaller sections!

Upvote 0
You give an example of your input, but what's the example output you're looking for from this input?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi kalak,

The input would simply be the total number of acts. The table above shows the target output from an input value of 3 acts.

For example if the input was 4 the first row of the output would be: 1,2,3,4 followed by all other possible configurations. If the input was 5 it would be 1,2,3,4,5.

I hope that makes sense, I'm not always the best at explaining things!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back