Display excel formula result in Msgbox

priddyboy

Board Regular
Is it possible to display the results of an excel formula in a message box without having the result stored anywhere? For example, I have several workbooks with multiple worksheets that I need to open and check the sum of 6 cells (these do not change between books or sheets). I am having to dig through someone elses workbooks that are not organized very well and everything is hardcoded. I tried something simple like this, but it doesn't work, obviously.

Dim str as string
Msgbox "str"
str = Sum(c49,c50,c52,d53,f9,g67)

Any help with the correct syntax would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Good evening

Just a one liner will do :

Code:
MsgBox Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Range("C49,C50,C52,D53,F9,G67"))

Obviously, if you are using more than one sheet in your workbook, you may need to specify this within the range.

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0
Also, this may not work for every Excel formula you have, as not every Excel function exists in Application.WorksheetFunctions. An alternative would be to use Evaluate:

Code:
MsgBox Evaluate("Sum(A1:A30)")

The argument to evaluate is a string, so you can build it up as required before passing it to the Evaluate method.

Best regards

Richard

Upvote 0
I think I've used something simliar in access. That's helpful as I wanted to round the value to zero decimals. Thanks again :LOL:

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to do something similar, Instead of Sum function just one cell - another.

The difference is I want Text to come first and then my answer.

So

MsgBox "Cells do not tie by..... Value .... "

Upvote 0
Also, this may not work for every Excel formula you have, as not every Excel function exists in Application.WorksheetFunctions. An alternative would be to use Evaluate:

Code:
MsgBox Evaluate("Sum(A1:A30)")

The argument to evaluate is a string, so you can build it up as required before passing it to the Evaluate method.

Best regards

Richard

I can't quite seem to adjust this to work for my needs i have a cell (w5) that displays a choose formula after pressing a form button. Ideally I would liketo then double click on that cell and have a different cell (w9) display data the results of a different formula (if)

Since that seems neigh impossible id like to double click on the cell and have a message box appear displaying the results of the if formula.

Example: if cell w5 displays "bunny" (after pressing form button) id like either:
1)double click w5 and have an =if(.... Formula display in w9
Or 2) double click w5 and have a msgbox display an =choose or =if formula

Any help would be so awesome!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back