Display warning message but allow to continue

jwasten

Board Regular
I have a method to check certain cells in a worksheet to be sure they are populated before the user can save and/or deactivate the worksheet. If those cells are not populated, a message is displayed AND the user is not allowed to continue until corrective action is taken.

Is there a way to only display a message if a certain value (zero) is in a cell but allow the user to continue and possibly save or deactivate the worksheet? (I'm already using the validation input message field for all these cells.)

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I guess I'm confused. In the first paragraph you want to check for validation of certain cells before the person can save. In the second paragraph you want the person to be able to continue and even save/deactivate without filling in the data. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I engaged the fingers without engaging the brain at the same speed!!!! Let me try again.

In the top portion of the spreadsheet, I have some cells which must be populated before the spreadsheet can be saved or the user can switch to another tab in that worksheet.

In the lower portion of the spreadsheet, I have other cells which must be populated using any number from 0 to 5 with 0 being the default in each of those cells. If any cell remains at 0 when the user attempts to save and/or switch to another tab of the worksheet, I'd like a message to ask if they really want a zero value. In case they do want a 0 value, I want them to be able to click OK and continue. I want the message to act as an alert only since the default value is 0.

Hope this makes more sense!

Upvote 0
In the cells in the lower portion, your validation will be different than the top portion.

Data > Validation > "Input Message" (tab)

leave title blank. Then type a message: "Are you sure you want to leave this at zero?"

In the first tab, "settings" select "List" in the drop down list. Then in the space below, type in 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for possible input.

This will restrict the numbers to this list, but since 0 is there, it will allow the person to move on. But the message will display asking the question.

HTH

This message was edited by shades on 2002-10-25 16:16

Upvote 0
I already have the validation > setting restriction between 0 and 5 and am using the input message for the rating criteria to use for entering the number. e.g. 5 = Supt has knowledge & authority 3 = Supt has limited authority 0 = Supt has no little authority. In each case, I've used almost the entire 255 characters allowed for the message.

Any other way to get a message displayed when the cell is zero?

Upvote 0
This would be a more general message.

Right-click the cell > Insert Comment

In the comments, type something like: "If this is zero, are you sure you want this?"

Upvote 0
Two other possibilities:

1. Shorten the messages in the Input Message section to allow the question, "Are you sure ZERO?"

2. Conditional format the cell, with cell value "equal to" 0, then color code. This way, if the person leaves at zero, there will be a visual reminder, but not a message.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the criteria for the evaluation score being closer to the cell so think the right click > Insert Comment would be better than the validation I'm currently using.

If I switch that, is there a way to get the validation > input message (e.g. Are you sure you want a zero?) ONLY if the value is zero? I still need the validation > settings > whole number set for between 0 and 5.

Upvote 0
If you put the criteria in the Insert Comment, then in the validation process you can use what I suggested earlier:

Data > Validation > "Input Message" (tab)

Title: "Zero?" Then type a message: "Are you sure you want to leave this at zero?"

In the first tab, "settings" select "List" in the drop down list. Then in the space below, type in 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for possible input.

This will restrict the numbers to this list, but since 0 is there, it will allow the person to move on. But the message will display asking the question.

Still not ideal, but closer. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
This message was edited by shades on 2002-10-25 17:09

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I guess I just need to decide now which option will work best for the end user.

Janet

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back