Displaying all of cell contents (text, cell contents beyond 6000 characters, contents are beyond 'wrap text' abilities)

Chris-Tillis

Hi all,

I hope someone can help with this.

Back Story:

I was involved in quite a severe road traffic accident a few years ago (nearly died), and now I can walk (fairly well), the solicitors have asked me to produce a complete diary of my recovery process, from crash to present day. I thought I would use a spreadsheet with a date column and description column. That way, if I forgot something, I could just add it conveniently to the bottom and then re-sort whenever I wanted. This is going to be nearly 3 years worth of notes, so it's going to become quite big.

The problem:

I created a spreadsheet in google docs, some cells have over 6000 characters (inc. spaces). While this displays OK in google docs, when I convert to XLS, it can't display all of the contents of the cell. I have used Alt-Enter to break it up a bit, but I can't find any fix beyond 'wrap text' to resolve it the display issue.

The other issue I'll have is cells printing over pages - the program will prefer to print whole cells on each page, but with my current (wrong) formatting, I don't think it'll print very nicely (when I convert to PDF).

The question:

What's best to do with this kind of data do you think? I don't want to use a Word Doc format, because when I add things that just pop into my head, I'd prefer to quickly add it to the bottom and then re-sort. I thought about adding a time column, but it's only relevant when I was having the 25 hours of surgery (spread over a month) that it's a relevant column, or when I had physio', the fun emotional breakdowns, etc.

All comments welcome and gratefully received.

Cheers,
Chris

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back