Displaying Filter Value

MarkD-ESG

I hope I can explain this so it make sense. Is there a way to have a cell display the value for which a col is filtered?

Example:

In cells A10 to A20 have a list of Company names. If I filter these names, I would like the name which I'm filtering for displayed in cell C1. (I realize that you can filter for multiple values but in practice, this list is filtered for one value at at time).

Thank you.
Mark D

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi and welcome to the board!!!
I think I'm missing the obvious, but wouldn't it be self-evident after the filter is performed. Anyway, since after the filtering, A10 will hold the name, you could use =A10 in C1

lenze

Upvote 0
"I think I'm missing the obvious, but wouldn't it be self-evident after the filter is performed."

It is. What is actually going on is this...

I've developed a simple invoicing spreadsheet for one of our companies. It lists all of the transactions for the week identified by the Customer ID in Col A (usually about 30 to 50 total transactions with 5 or 6 customers). To produce the detailed invoice for each co, we just filter for each Customer ID listed in Col A and hit print.

I also have the Customer name and address automatically display using a VLOOKUP formula using the Customer ID and the Invoice number, which includes the Customer ID, automatically generate using a CONCATENATE formula.

Currently, for this to happen, the person printing the invoice must select filter for the Customer ID then, in a seperate cell, type in the same Customer ID to get the correct address and invoice number. Needlessly to say, this sometimes gets missed and we have to go back and reprint invoices. If the filtered value automatically changes the cell that the VLOOKUP and CONCATENATE use, this error would be elimated.

As for reference the cell value, the filter just hides the rows, it doesn't change the location of the data as sort would.

Hope this helps explain things better :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back